Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Flag in the Gutter

I was on the phone talking with a friend of mine, while driving home from various outings on Memorial Day. My husband made an abrupt illegal u-turn. He drove halfway back down the previous block, and stopped in the middle of the road. I asked him what he was doing? He answered "Oh you know, Change starts with us and all that." He proceeded to get out of the car and cross two lanes of opposing traffic, to retrieve someones car mounted American Flag. It was  brand new, and just laying in the rain gutter. This isn't the first time he has done this. In fact it is about the eighth, and the fourth I have witnessed. The most memorable was his retrieval of one that was blowing down the third lane of a four lane highway.

I am left to wonder at the person who wants to say they care about their country. So much so to go buy a flag for their car, and yet can't be bothered to pick it up when it falls. At least their are some of us out there who still care. I just hope there is enough.

The flag from above now flys over my 1 year olds crib.


No comments:

Post a Comment